Most of us already know what toppings to add to a pizza to make it healthier, but have you ever thought about the crust. To make healthier pizza crusts, try:
- Whole-wheat flour. Forgo the traditional white-flour crust and make your whole wheat flour for some extra protein and a yummy, nutty flavor.
- Thin sandwich bread. Take your favorite deli flat and swap the cold-cuts for your sauce and toppings of choice. (Just give the bread a little toast before topping to avoid any sogginess.)
- Tortillas. Rice and beans aren’t the only ingredients that can top a tortilla. Make your own whole-wheat tortilla for a perfect thin-crust alternative.
- Pita bread. Pita pockets are the perfect size for a personal pizza, and the whole wheat variety adds an extra nutritional kick.
- English muffins. With all the nooks and crannies, an English muffin pizza crust can do no wrong. They toast up perfectly in the oven and are great for making mini-pizzas for a light lunch. (Or as a late night snack!)