Policy, Systems, Environmental Supports
HOW IT WORKS:
Throughout the program, program facilitators work with each faith community to implement policy and environmental changes they can make to support their members’ health. The nine-session curriculum intentionally provides discussion time for Lay Leaders and community members to assess their community’s strengths, assets, and needs and brainstorms ways they can make appropriate and desired changes.
Faith communities are encouraged to:
- Implement at least 1 policy change
- Implement at least 1 environmental change
Throughout the program, Lay Leaders and community members are provided with tools to assess their organization’s strengths and assets, and brainstorm ways they can make appropriate changes. Program facilitators also provide resources and technical assistance to help each faith community adopt policy and environmental supports.
FAITH COMMUNITIES HAVE:
- Established policies to serve water and/or unsweetened beverages at all events.
- Re-paved parking lots to serve as a walking track.
- Established guidelines that all meals offered at the faith community must follow healthy food guidelines.
- Integrated physical activity breaks for all meetings.
- Established community gardens.
- Provided space and time for breastfeeding.
- Established blood pressure monitoring stations for community use.